Stansted (ICAO: EGSS, IATA: STN) is London’s third airport, and is dominated by the two low-cost airlines EasyJet and Ryanair who use the airport as a hub, as well as holiday charter airlines Thomson and Pegasus. Stansted also accommodates a few other scheduled carriers within Europe and a small number of inter-continental flights.
Getting to Stansted for an early morning flight is fairly straight forward, coaches run through the night, provided by Terravision and National Express from London Victoria and London Liverpool Street. Be aware that lines are common at Stansted, security check can easily take an hour. Also getting to the airport can take longer than the proclaimed 90 minutes, expect more like 120 minutes. Arriving in the airport, queueing for passport control can easily take up to 2 hours for non-EU passport holders, especially for Sunday night arrivals.
Transport options into central London:
- By rail: Stansted Express to London Liverpool Street, ☎ +44 845 600 7245, Every 15 min, journey time 45-60 min. Travelcard not valid. Most budget carriers’ websites offer reduced price deals for the Stansted Express.
- By rail then London Underground: Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale then London Underground (Victoria line), ☎ +44 845 600 7245, Every 15 min. If you are going to South London, the West End or West London then take Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale then the London Underground (Victoria line). At Tottenham Hale ask for an Oyster card.
- By coach: National Express, ☎ +44 870 580 8080, Every 15-30 min. Journey time to Stratford: 1 hour. To Victoria: 90 min. To Stratford (tube: Stratford) or Victoria (tube: Victoria). Travelcard not valid.
- By coach: Terravision, ☎ +44 1279 680028, Every 30 min. To Liverpool St Station (tube: Liverpool St) or Victoria (tube: Victoria). Travelcards not valid.
- By minibus: EasyBus, To Baker St (tube: Baker St). Buses are usually overbooked, leave plenty of time to avoid missing your flight. Travelcard not valid.
- By taxi. Journey time 90-120 min. This airport is a long way from London! It’s usually better to take a train to London Liverpool St and continue by taxi from there.
- By Minicab, ☎ +44 1279 816901, Journey time 90-120 min. Stansted Airport Cars, located just outside of the terminal complex.